This toolkit is based on field experiences emerging from integrated WASH-water resource management programmes implemented over the past six years in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger.
This toolkit provides a series of practical tools and resources that support WASH practitioners to incorporate activities that strengthen water security into WASH programming. Specifically it provides resources to help:
- Decide if communities will benefit from efforts aimed at strengthening water security.
- Achieve the support and engagement of national and local government officials.
- Support communities to identify and understand vulnerabilities to waterrelated threats.
- Support communities to monitor water-related threats.
- Support communities to develop resilience strategies that mitigate waterrelated threats.
This document is divided into sections that outline different steps involved with strengthening water security in a rural context. Each step should be followed sequentially. Some sections link to tools that guide users through specific processes. Each tool can be found in the appendix of this document.