Combat Trafficking in Persons Toolkit is intended to provide guidance, showcase promising practice and recommend resources in thematic areas.
The overarching goals of this Toolkit are those of the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children, supplementing the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime. These goals are:
- To prevent and combat trafficking
- To protect and assist its victims
- To promote international cooperation
In pursuit of these goals, the Toolkit seeks to facilitate the sharing of knowledge and information among policymakers, law enforcers, judges, prosecutors, victim service providers and members of civil society who are working at different levels towards these same objectives.
- International legal framework
- Problem assessment and strategy development
- Legislative framework
- International criminal justice cooperation
- Law enforcement and prosecution
- Victim identification
- Immigration status of victims and their return and reintegration
- Victim assistance
- Prevention of trafficking in persons
- Monitoring and evaluation
The Toolkit has been structured to serve a twofold purpose:
- In its entirety, the Toolkit provides an overview of the immense and multifaceted task of combating trafficking in persons;
- In its stand-alone chapters, the Toolkit provides guidance on specific aspects of the trafficking response.