This Toolkit on ‘Environmental analysis – Strategic Environmental Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment’ aims to serve as a step by step guide for the city officials for rapid environmental assessment of urban transportation plans, programs and projects. It is expected that this Toolkit will help the city officials to conduct environmental assessment and appropriately choose and implement environmental friendly options for the city’s transport system. With the help of this Toolkit, the city officials would also get equipped to evaluate and monitor the work carried out by consultants, who typically carry most of the transport related planning, designing and impact assessment work at the city level.
Who should be using this Toolkit?
The Toolkit has been developed for city level officials who are responsible for formulation and implementation of transport related plans, programs and projects. Following are some of the key target beneficiary groups for this Toolkit.
- Urban local bodies,
- City/regional planning and development authorities,
- Special agencies constituted to plan and implement urban transport infrastructure,
- City bus service operators,
- Metro rail corporations, and
- Agencies responsible for construction of urban roads, flyovers, etc. (PWD, roads department)
- Consultants who carry out formulation of urban transport plans and projects and conduct SEA & EIA for public agencies
What is the scope of this Toolkit?
As this report will concern itself with the Toolkit on Environmental analysis – Strategic Environmental Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment, it is important to understand the scope of this Toolkit.
The Toolkit on Environmental analysis – Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) will focus on informing the city level officials and consultants involved in planning and implementing transport sector projects on the:
- Concept of SEA and EIA;
- Importance of conducting SEA and EIA of transport plans and projects; and
- How to conduct SEA and EIA.
At the strategic level, the Toolkit will guide how SEA can be conducted for city transport/mobility plans. The Toolkit will give guidance for conducting EIA of major urban transport projects like construction of urban roads/ expressways; public transit systems like bus rapid transit system (BRTS), metro rail transit system (MRTS), mono rail systems, light rail transit systems (LRT), etc.; construction of public transit terminals and parking complexes, etc.
It is aimed that with the help of this Toolkit, the city officials will be in a position to either conduct the SEA and EIA themselves or be able to evaluate the SEA and EIA carried out by the hired consultants effectively.
How to use this Toolkit?
The Toolkit has been divided into 4 Chapters as discussed.
- Chapter 1: Background
- Chapter 2: Strategic Environmental Assessment of urban transport plans/ programs
- Chapter 3: Environmental Impact Assessment of urban transport projects
- Chapter 4: Literature Review -Case Studies