Beyond 2015 is a global civil society campaign, aiming to develop a strong framework to replace the Millennium Development Goals. Beyond 2015 brings together more than 1300 Civil Society Organizations in over 130 countries around the world.
Beyond 2015 has two main goals:
- A global overarching cross-thematic framework for development after 2015.
- A participatory and responsive process for developing the framework, so that it includes the point of view of those directly affected by poverty
The Beyond 2015 Executive Committee met in March 2015 in Tunis, on the sidelines of the World Social Forum. At this meeting, the Executive Committee decided to recalibrate the focus of Beyond 2015 from policy to action, based on the analysis that much of the agenda was already set, and that the main gap lied in the political will for its implementation. Therefore, we will continue to engage in the intergovernmental negotiation
process, but focus more on building political leadership for implementation at the national level, with the goal of ensuring that the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are translated into national development plans, and that people and their organizations are included in this implementation from as early as possible.
Goals of the toolkit
This toolkit lays the foundation for Beyond 2015’s final phase, dedicated to promoting national level political leadership and commitment to implementing Post-2015 agenda, especially the SDGs.
The toolkit seeks to:
- Support national level work to build political leadership for implementation by providing practical examples, lessons from partners, key political
demands of the campaign, and suggesting concrete steps for action.
- Support CSOs in their efforts to ensure that the SDGs are translated into national development plans and that people and their organizations are
included in this implementation from the earliest stage as possible.
- Assist CSOs in adapting their work to a ‘SDGs framework’ by providing them with strategies for participatory implementation at the national level, in order to achieve the most transformative Post2015 agenda.