Digital identity (Digital ID) is a catalyst for development and progress, particularly for low- and middle- income countries.
According to a recent World Bank Group publication titled Digital Identity Toolkit: A Guide for Stakeholders in Africa, Digital ID is not only a key enabler for service delivery to the poorest, but also helps grow a country’s economy and social development.
The Toolkit provides a range of technical examples, policy considerations and practical advice for implementing Digital ID systems, including:
- Registration, issuance and use
- Enrollment and certification
- Authentication and updates
- Institutional framework and governance
- Trust, privacy and security frameworks