Risk Management in Fragile Settings: A Toolkit for Field Practitioners, a resource to allow organizations to carry out day-to-day operations when full access to affected communities is not possible.
This approach is designed with the clear aim of providing practical tools and guidelines for field staff so that they may:
- Clarify operational responsibility level;
- Support field managers in making timely and appropriate decisions when the supervisor is unreachable;
- Support quality monitoring and accountability;
- Offer a uniform approach to facilitate coordination and avoid duplication of activities;
- Provide actionable tools for project design, implementation, and monitoring; and
- Offer alternative operating processes to guide key decision-makers and program managers in fragile contexts.
The Risk Management in Fragile Settings Toolkit consists of a suite of tools and supporting guidance to enable managers to codify risk as a basis for decision-making in fragile settings. Used as intended, this framework provides a roadmap for clarifying expectations at all levels of management, and empowering staff to operate within agreed-upon parameters.
There are three main components that have been designed for use by practitioners at the field, regional, and global levels:
- The Relief International Risk Calculator, a six-question, Excel-based tool;
- The Risk Management Process, consisting of three steps to guide decision-making; and
- Seven Field Guides, or practical operating procedures detailing additional guidance.