The toolkit is developed for use in facilitating advocacy sessions for civil society organization, extractive host community leaders and other stakeholders working to promote and protect human rights; and community security.
The handbook contains practical toolkits that can be used by groups of people or individuals who are interested in promoting and protecting of human rights and security as norms through advocacy for effective legislation and policy implementation. It supports training on participatory planning of advocacy initiatives geared towards the achievement of promotion and protection of human rights and security.
Purpose of the Toolkit
Generally, this toolkit is intended to be used for the training of individuals and organizations working on promoting and protecting human rights and security in order to strengthen their capacities for planning and implementing effective advocacy strategies.
Specifically, the content of the toolkit is expected to help individuals and organizations to:
- Appreciate human rights and security in extractive host communities as it affects especially, public and private security service and to present a situational analysis of human rights promotion and protection; community security in Nigeria considering the current insecurity situation and to engage relevant stakeholders through advocacy.
- Identify steps involved in planning a successful advocacy.
- Engage with a variety of tools used in planning advocacy initiatives at various stages.
- Adequately equip advocacy actors to hold policy makers and other stakeholders accountable on issues of human rights and security.
Structure of the Toolkit
The toolkit is divided into two sections. Section one deals with building the foundation for successful advocacy on human rights promotion and protection, and community security. It comprises of three modules that dwell on understanding the broad issue of human right promotion and protection, and security, and the concept of advocacy. Section two highlights steps involved in developing advocacy strategies. This section consists of eight modules analysing the step by step approach of planning a successful advocacy. Each module is organized around two themes.
- Background that gives an overview of the subject matter and tips on the practicum for the facilitator.
- Practicum that presents practical exercises to engage participants on advocacy issues around human rights and community security. A minimum of 7 days is recommended for training with the toolkit.