This Program Guidance and Toolkit is intended to demonstrate how to mainstream gender equality throughout programs in order to enable high-quality, innovative programming, which results in the fulfillment of children’s equal rights, by:
- Providing effective and user-friendly tools for identifying and addressing gender inequalities across all stages of the program cycle;
- Offering specific guidance and references for promoting gender equality across Save the Children’s thematic areas of focus; and
- Showcasing promising practices from Save the Children programs which we can learn from together and build upon.
This Program Guidance and Toolkit seeks to answer the question:
- how can we consistently, meaningfully and strategically integrate gender equality focus across our programming work at Save the Children? It is a response to numerous requests from members and country offices alike for program guidance to accompany the Save the Children Principles for Gender Equality.
In addition to answering frequently asked questions, this document addresses three core questions:
- Why is gender mainstreaming critical;
- Who affects and is affected by gender;
- How to mainstream gender equality.
The Program Guidance and Toolkit content is laid out in four main sections, with most of the emphasis on HOW, as follows:
- This section explains how to use the toolkit, defines key gender equality concepts, describes Save the Children’s approaches for gender sensitive programming and provides lessons learned and best practices for gender mainstreaming at Save the Children.
- This section shows why gender mainstreaming is critical to our work and how WHY mainstreaming gender equality into our programming can yield better results
- This section explores how different groups affect and are affected by gender norms
- This section provides guidance on gender mainstreaming across the program cycle and in thematic areas. Additionally, it highlights 4 simple and effective tools that can be used to conduct gender analysis.