This resource guide aims to provide a quick reference on a wide range of topics relevant to rights based, effective, sustainable and integrated community-led and public health responses to men who have sex with men (MSM).
It offers guidance:
- on resources useful for reviewing and updating locally developed tools and resources for/ on MSM, or for developing new ones (for example, curricula for MSM peer outreach or for supporting MSM living with HIV, or to sensitise and train healthcare workers)
- to individuals and organisations who want to engage and work with MSM
- to individuals and organisations engaging and working with MSM who want to review and improve their services
- to individuals and organisations who are advocating for the needs and rights of MSM.
The resource guide was originally developed primarily for MSM community-led organisations and civil society organisations supporting MSM community action in Africa. However, we believe that it can be useful for anyone who is planning to work with MSM, or who is already engaging or working with MSM, or who simply wants to learn more about MSM and their needs and rights.
The resource guide has been developed through an extensive global literature review and an appraisal of available tools and resources on MSM in Africa and other regions where appropriate. The review and appraisal were guided by a list of critical topics and elements that the guide should contain. These were taken from available resources and discussed and agreed with SHARP partners. They were selected from other MSM community-led organisations and civil society organisations supporting MSM community action in Africa.
The resource guide does not contain all possible references. Instead, to keep it user friendly, a selection of five core documents has been made that cover most of the topics. Where there are gaps in those five core documents, other resources have been included.
- KEY RESOURCE 1: My life, my power: A training curriculum for peer educators and HIV prevention and risk reduction among MSM in Kenya (NASCOP, 2013)
- KEY RESOURCE 2: Implementing comprehensive HIV and STI programmes with men who have sex with men: practical guidance for collaborative interventions (UNFPA, Global Forum on MSM & HIV, UNDP, WHO, USAID, World Bank, 2015)
- KEY RESOURCE 3: From top to bottom: A sex-positive approach for men who have sex with men (Anova Health Institute, 2013)
- KEY RESOURCE 4: Health care provision for men who have sex with men, sex workers, and people who use drugs (Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, 2013)
- KEY RESOURCE 5: Positive health, dignity and prevention: operational guidelines (UNAIDS, GNP+, 2013)