Gender Mainstreaming in Energy Projects: A Practical Handbook has been developed by the ENERGIA International Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy. ENERGIA was launched in 1996 as an initiative of committed individuals working on gender and energy research and advocacy. The ENERGIA network is hosted by the ETC Foundation in the Netherlands.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
This Handbook on mainstreaming gender in energy projects seeks to provide guidance, practical tools and examples for energy projects that show how to undertake gender mainstreaming systematically.
What is this Handbook about?
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Mainstreaming Gender in Energy Projects: A Practical Handbook was developed by ENERGIA4 to provide guidance on how to integrate gender concerns in energy projects:
- How to assess the gender situation in an energy project
- What gender interventions can be undertaken as part of project activities
- How to build capacities and institutionalise gender mainstreaming practices within implementing organisations and partners
- How to measure and monitor the progress made on gender aspects of energy projects.
Specifically, it helps energy projects to develop a concrete gender strategy, or a Gender Action Plan (GAP) for the project. Developing a GAP involves:
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Agreeing on a gender goal or objective (deciding what the project aims to achieve from a gender standpoint)
- Planning specific outcomes and activities to meet these gender goals, which can be of two types:
- Implementation actions
- Institutionalisation of gender mainstreaming in the project or organisation, to create the long-term capacity to implement the GAP activities
- Designing a monitoring and evaluation framework to track the performance of gender activities
- Including gender in project documents, such as logical frameworks and annual work plans.
Who is it for?
The Handbook is aimed at both energy project managers and staff, as well as gender experts who are tasked with mainstreaming gender by their organisations, and will:
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Demystify gender concepts
- Help them recognise gender issues in energy sector work
- Clarify what gender mainstreaming means for energy projects, and why it makes sense to implement ‘gender-sensitive energy projects’
- Provide pointers on how to mainstream gender and track its performance.
How is the Handbook structured?
The Handbook consists of two parts:
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
- The Practical Handbook shows how gender concerns can be systematically integrated within energy access projects and programmes. It visualises the process as consisting of four major stages – preparation, design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation – each of which is broken down into blocks.
- A Resource Pack in a CD, with tools, questionnaires, guidelines and examples for each of the nine blocks.