Growing Up Great! is a scalable, multi-level intervention designed to improve sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and gender equity among very young adolescents (VYA) and the important adults in their lives. It supports VYAs and their communities to question and break down social barriers that prevent access to health information and services.
It was piloted in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2017-2018 under the Passages Project, which aims to address a broad range of social norms, at scale, to achieve sustained improvements in family planning and reproductive health. Growing Up GREAT! was evaluated by the Global Early Adolescent Study and shown to be effective at shifting several key SRH attitudes and norms.
The Growing Up GREAT! Implementation Guide is a step-by step resource for organizations who wish to adopt the intervention. It provides users with guidance, tested tools, and materials for planning, implementing, supervising, and monitoring this successful norms-shifting intervention.
In the guide, you will find the following sections:
- Section 1: Overview of Growing Up GREAT! provides a summary of the intervention design and materials, and the social norms they target. It also describes how Growing Up GREAT! was implemented in Kinshasa, DRC.
- Section 2: Preparatory Activities provides a brief overview of the preparatory work that should be undertaken before implementation begins. It includes basic guidance on engaging stakeholders, adapting the intervention to your local context and evaluating the organizational capacity of partners. A separate adaptation guide provides additional in-depth guidance on adaptation.
- Section 3: Implementing the Intervention provides step-by-step guidance and important considerations for implementing each of the four components of the intervention:
- Component 1: VYA Group Learning Sessions describes how to implement schoolbased VYA clubs and classroom-based lessons, as well as community-based VYA clubs for out-of-school adolescents.
- Component 2: Caregiver Testimonial Videos describes how to screen caregiver testimonial video sessions and facilitate reflective dialogues with caregivers.
- Component 3: Community Reflection Groups describes how to implement community dialogues.
- Component 4: Health System Linkages describes how to collaborate with and train health providers to implement health linkage activities for VYAs.
- Section 4: Monitoring & Learning provides useful guidance on monitoring and learning activities to accompany implementation. These include a description of the different types of monitoring tools that are available and proposed learning questions for future implementers.